Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Wall-E: A Response to Evan's Critique

In his most recent post, Evan critiques the latest animated film release from Disney/Pixar, Wall-E.

He seems to think the film awful, whereas I found it just so-so. I share neither his excitement for the character of Wall-E (though he makes a good case), nor his deep disappointment with the film overall. Wall-E is of a category of films that I simply do not expect much of, one way or other.

Evan asks us to imagine Disney executives conniving together, "We have this astounding character that kids will love, a great interaction with another character, and phenomenal appeal to people of all ages. Now how can we use that to further our plan to corrupt humanity?" Yet whatever one thinks of the merits of the film, I do not believe it was wrought with ill intention; to the contrary, the film's creators probably believe they are providing a much-needed warning for our times. This is, after all, an age in which obesity and environmental awareness are considered chief societal (I daresay moral) concerns.

Indeed, appreciation of nature and concern for our environment are good. Christians ought take the notion of stewardship seriously, and we Orthodox, pervaded with the importance of the Incarnation, know to rightly respect the natural and material. Yet we also understand order, and believe that the glory of Man is greater than the glory of Nature. Nature may whisper of eternity, but Man contains eternity within himself. If the creators of Wall-E would mar humanity to defend nature, they do both a disservice.

A charitable view, however, recognizes their well-intentioned--and not invalid--concerns. The film may effect some good. But I hope the folks at Disney/Pixar will understand that some of us are jaded to such moralizing.

1 comment:

Evan said...

Well, technically speaking, I agree--the film was so-so. I was not so disappointed that I would not purchase the film or recommend it to others, and I do agree that the creators had the right intentions as far as their message goes, but I think that the message held much more prominance than necessary. I just think that Wall-E was too good to be put in the mediocre sermon-style plot. But I did enjoy it!