Thursday, July 17, 2008

What is Environment?

This is a subject upon which Chase, Brandon, and Josh have much more well-formed opinions than I, but since Pen and Palette author Susan Cushman asked for responses to her article "The So-Called Environmental Crisis", and it is a fairly popular subject, I'll throw in my ambiguous two-cents.

Recently, on a trip between Tennessee and Florida on I-55, I passed what I call Nissan City, a mile-long Nissan car factory and I said to the people in the car with me, "That's beautiful," and I meant it, though I don't entirely know why. One of the reasons that I had for saying that probably has to do with my having lived in cities for almost my entire life, yet my appreciation of nature has not diminished.

To get right to the point, I believe in life. Living in the vicinity of Tokyo for a period of time, I did not look up at the sky and say, "My, what dreary smog" or at the massive amounts of skyscrapers and say, "Oh dear, how dare they impose upon the beauty of nature in such a way." That is not to say I did not appreciate nature, but my experiences in forests, semi-tropical jungles, beaches, fields, and whatever other "natural" places my life has taken me seem to have been very secondary to the experiences that I have had in densely populated areas. The experiences that I remember the most and appreciate the most are always when in communion with others.

Even while climbing mountain Mount Fuji, it was so much more enjoyable for me to have someone standing next to me as I watched the sun rise through the mist (though I must admit, that person was holding me up to keep me from vomiting due to altitude sickness).

As an English Major and Graduate student, I have learned to appreciate life in all senses, whether it be watching the grass grow around Tintern Abbey on a page or feeling the tingling sensation of a jellyfish wrapping itself around my arm, I have come to realize that these minute experiences are immensely more important than worrying about the overshadowing of the abbey by a new skyscraper bank or worrying that the jellyfish's natural habitat is being decimated by oil spills in the Pacific Northwest.

That is not to say that we need not be concerned about these things, for how can we appreciate them when they are no longer there? Yet I believe that the proper mindset that needs to be instilled in all people is not that we need to be on the constant search for ways to preserve the environment, but that we need to develop a gradual appreciation for every experience we have. This appreciation will necessarily birth a desire to preserve the origin of that experience and thereby lead to what many specifically environmentally minded people are pushing for. An acknowledgement of our place as partakers rather than mere recievers will also assist in this mindset.

I don't want to get to intellectual with this post, but I would like to add that many sacramentally minded people attempt to push the idea of "making" as an act by which we participate in the grand scheme of life. All that we touch, see, do, or experience is in some way affecting other; we are "making" a new world every time we blink our eyes, every time we think a thought, every time we mow the grass. The correct mindset for someone concerned about the environment begins with a knowledge of interconnectedness in experience (beware Westerners).

(PLEASE do not think of that last statement as in any way Chardinian (Pierre Teilhard de Chardin)! I do not here propose that all life is interconnected in every sense, as though we could affect the actions of God, or as though each thing was God and that by destroying it we were destroying part of God. Just that, if we are to consider our very life as equally important both physically and spiritually (viz. "sacramental"), then our mental, spiritual, and physical actions are all equally as influential.)

2 comments:

Susan Cushman said...

Good thoughts, Evan. I think it is the task of the modern mind to hold our opposites intact, walking, as Thomas Howard said, "among the hallows" in our daily lives and not separating the spiritual from the physical. In Howard's classic book, Splendor in the Ordinary, which I read in the early days of my journey to the Orthodox faith (early 80s) he says: "We shift the Big Things (sacrifice, mystery, the hallowed) over onto the "religious" shelf and tie it up with church services, alms, and prayers....Somehow splendor, mystery, and terror don't show up in the fabric of our life. It is the argument of this book that this will not do." Discovering the sacred in the mysteries of Orthodoxy has never caused, for me, a conflict with respecting the sacred in all of God's creation. On the contrary, it's increased my respect and care for it, as negligent as I am. I appreciate your thoughts, Evan.

Anonymous said...

If only the rest of the human race understood "then our mental, spiritual, and physical actions are all equally as influential.)". Where of where the places we would go! The going "green" concept would be considerably simpler.

Mayleen H.